December 25, 2008 began with distant whispers coming from downstairs. Each year, the kids get up before us and gather up their stockings that are hanging on the fireplace. They bring them to our bed and open them one by one.Joel and I had so much fun stuffing them the night before...and even more fun watching them pull everything out. If we stopped at just giving them stockings, I think they would have been just as happy. The little things in life make life fun.
Looking very groggy in my flannel PJs and Joel in his boxers, we all headed downstairs to see what Santa brought. (Our kids never have believed in Santa but it's a fun game we play.)
To our surprise, Santa only ate part of his chocolate chip cookie sandwich. Zachary tried a bite and then Benjamin finished it. Alaina found all of this very amusing (even though she told the kids at school that Santa wasn't real).
After breakfast, we gathered in a circle as Joel read the Christmas story. He walked through the Bible, starting in Genesis, asking questions...and explaining God's plan....that a savior, Jesus Christ would be born. 4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David.
5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.
6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born,
7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.
The Shepherds and the Angels
8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.
9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
10 But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.
12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14 "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."
15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."
16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.
17 When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child,
18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.
19 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.
20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.
Alaina, again helped share the story. What a blessing to see her so excited when she talks about Jesus. Hudson participated some and Benjamin...well...the story was just too long for him. :)
Here they are preparing for the endurance challenge of opening gifts...one by one. No chaos at our house....but boy did we make a mess.
The kids thought it would be fun to draw names and buy one nice gift for one sibling. They set the amount to be $15. The older three, especially Joel B worked so hard to raise the money. They helped do extra chores, which was a great help to me. Alaina's heart was just not into the "earning" the money this year so I gave her a little grace (a lot actually) and added to her money so she could buy Joel B a nice gift. The kids got so many nice things. My parents gave us money to shop for the kids which helped give them many gifts. We opened and opened and opened...one by one.
Alexis opened her new ballet pointe shoes, lots of clothes, books...
And PhotoShop! She requested PhotoShop to help with her blog and website business. As a gift to me, she is currently working on my new website. Since I have so much information on our website, it will take some time. I'm so looking forward to announcing my new blog makeover. If you are interested in a new blog makeover, let us know. I'm so proud of her and I love what she has created already. This was for sure her favorite gift.
The baby boys, Hudson and Benjamin were so precious. We recycle our toys at our house. :) The older two boys collected every Rescue Hero toy imaginable. So many times, I gathered them up and was planning to give them away. I never thought that we would have two more boys. We have two of almost every Rescue Hero and all the vehicles. The older kids had so much fun helping me get them ready and Alexis and I wrapped for hours.
Hudson and Benjamin were so excited when they opened them. We had them hidden so they had never seen them before. What fun!
And then Alaina....
She opened several Bitty Baby outfits (all were Clearance outfits from American Girl...I shop after Christmas for the next year), doll house furniture, clothes, art supplies....
And Mammaw got her the Bitty Twins. They are the most precious little dolls. She strolled them around the house in her double doll stroller and carried Bitty Baby in her Bitty Baby Snuggly. Precious.
Benjamin decided to take a rest and enjoy his beverage.
Zachary and Joel B got lots of things...DS games, clothes, underwear, socks, Legos....and guitars!
You should have seen the look on Zachary and Joel B's face when they opened their guitars. Joel B has asked for a guitar for a year and a half now. They have not had a single lesson yet...and are looking forward to getting started. After much prayer and advice from musicians, we decided to get the boys nice guitars that will last. We pray they use them for His glory. The youth pastor, I think is more excited than anyone as Joel B especially, is looking forward to joining the youth band when he is older.
Joel B was so cute as he had specific wishes. Since he is left handed, he needed a left-handed guitar. He also wanted 'blue' picks to play. We found the coolest guitar pick necklace that says, "Pick Jesus." Isn't that just way too cute?
Alexis opened her new ballet pointe shoes, lots of clothes, books...
And PhotoShop! She requested PhotoShop to help with her blog and website business. As a gift to me, she is currently working on my new website. Since I have so much information on our website, it will take some time. I'm so looking forward to announcing my new blog makeover. If you are interested in a new blog makeover, let us know. I'm so proud of her and I love what she has created already. This was for sure her favorite gift.
The baby boys, Hudson and Benjamin were so precious. We recycle our toys at our house. :) The older two boys collected every Rescue Hero toy imaginable. So many times, I gathered them up and was planning to give them away. I never thought that we would have two more boys. We have two of almost every Rescue Hero and all the vehicles. The older kids had so much fun helping me get them ready and Alexis and I wrapped for hours.
Hudson and Benjamin were so excited when they opened them. We had them hidden so they had never seen them before. What fun!
And then Alaina....
She opened several Bitty Baby outfits (all were Clearance outfits from American Girl...I shop after Christmas for the next year), doll house furniture, clothes, art supplies....
And Mammaw got her the Bitty Twins. They are the most precious little dolls. She strolled them around the house in her double doll stroller and carried Bitty Baby in her Bitty Baby Snuggly. Precious.
Benjamin decided to take a rest and enjoy his beverage.
Zachary and Joel B got lots of things...DS games, clothes, underwear, socks, Legos....and guitars!
You should have seen the look on Zachary and Joel B's face when they opened their guitars. Joel B has asked for a guitar for a year and a half now. They have not had a single lesson yet...and are looking forward to getting started. After much prayer and advice from musicians, we decided to get the boys nice guitars that will last. We pray they use them for His glory. The youth pastor, I think is more excited than anyone as Joel B especially, is looking forward to joining the youth band when he is older.
Joel B was so cute as he had specific wishes. Since he is left handed, he needed a left-handed guitar. He also wanted 'blue' picks to play. We found the coolest guitar pick necklace that says, "Pick Jesus." Isn't that just way too cute? Alaina's favorite gift of all....
Alaina requested a guitar, too....a much less expensive one. This guitar has a story behind it. Joel and Alexis got up at 4AM last Thanksgiving to stand in line at Walmart so we could save a penny. As you can see from each of the pictures of her, she was the happiest with her guitar. She told everyone that she wanted a guitar. Not sure if it was because the boys talked about nothing else. I'm hoping they will teach her as I'm not sure if she is seriously ready for lessons yet. That's my girl, though! I'm almost certain that Miss Alaina (although such a girly girl), will be playing her guitar, in tune, with her older brothers.
Alaina requested a guitar, too....a much less expensive one. This guitar has a story behind it. Joel and Alexis got up at 4AM last Thanksgiving to stand in line at Walmart so we could save a penny. As you can see from each of the pictures of her, she was the happiest with her guitar. She told everyone that she wanted a guitar. Not sure if it was because the boys talked about nothing else. I'm hoping they will teach her as I'm not sure if she is seriously ready for lessons yet. That's my girl, though! I'm almost certain that Miss Alaina (although such a girly girl), will be playing her guitar, in tune, with her older brothers.















3 comments:
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and your encouraging words! I've been reading through your adoption stories and I'm blessed already. I would love to send Benjamin fabric for his quilt. If you can e-mail me a mailing address, I would appreciate it. Thank you so much for your prayers! May you have a very blessed New Year!
Well those are wonderful pics! WOW! I LOVE, LOVE your idea of recycling gifts!!! Never thought of it, but I plan to do this next year!!!!! In fact, I have tons of Thomas stuff and all the ones that match it and was thinking S might like it as I have seen several girls on blog who got train sets! Now, I have a great idea for her b-day this year!!! I too have attempted to give away the T stuff several times, but just couldn't let them go. Thanks for the idea and for sharing your pictures!
Word verification: amazame (amaza me! ha!)
Post a Comment