Thursday, October 2, 2008

Benjamin Update!!

Taken on September 16

Two months and 12 days ago, Benjamin walked into our lives. I can't believe that we have had him in our lives only 2 months. It feels like he has always been in our family. He's made some real progress in just two months. If you have followed our journey to China on our Travel Journal, you would recognize some wonderful leaps forward.

The first day we had him, he wouldn't allow me to put him down. The whole two weeks in China, he had to literally sleep with me. Do you remember how he wanted to literally sleep on top of me?


For several weeks, he slept in our room and he wanted me nearby. Thankfully, he has slept through the night since we have been home. He doesn't wake up during the night like he did in China. While he was in his Pack-n-Play in our room, he would wake up during naps and would cry until I came and I had to stay with him until he fell back to sleep.

The climbing out of the pack-n-play about killed me. A few weeks ago before the crib tent arrived, I just knew he had broken his neck. He climbed on the edge of my bed and dove into his pack-n-play head first! He rolled on over and laughed. Heart attack!
First time sleeping in his new bed.


The arrival of the Crib Tent has made the biggest difference in our lives. I prayed several days after I ordered it, that he would not be terrified of it. He loves his crib and reaches for me to put him in it. He giggles and rolls around in his bed and falls asleep super fast. He and Hudson don't wake up until 8:30AM at the earliest and when they do wake up, they are so happy. I can hear them talking and laughing together. Nap time is wonderful as well. No more crying in the middle of nap..PTL!!! He has peaceful, long naps which gives me a nice 2 to 3 hours to spend with the older kids or accomplish some things that have been waiting on me all day. Life is good.

While in their beds, the babies love to read their books. One of their favorites is the Zoo's Who Panda book that was a gift from Emily at his Welcome home party.
The other one was a gift to Hudson from Grandma last year. They love these books and they are really cute.


Benjamin also loves this little activity blanket. It was a gift from Jillian at his Welcome Home party. It has a little hand puppet on it. He surprised me by choosing his little hand to put inside the puppet. He can't make the puppets mouth move but he puts the puppet up to his face and the alligator puppet gives him a kiss. I love this little blanket. There are lots of different textures on it and lots to keep him busy in his bed.
Remember when he only wanted me to hold him? He loves his family, especially his daddy. He loves Joel and is so happy when he comes home. He enjoys that daddy allows him to wrestle. The laughter is music to my ear.

When we first got home, he still only wanted me. Now he loves Alexis and cuddles with her. He cries and reaches for her when she gets out of the car. I know he loves the boys as they have been with him from the start. They help take care of the little ones so much in so many ways and for that I'm so very thankful. Today was the most precious moment when Benjamin reached up for Alaina to hold him.

Zachary babysat for Hudson and Benjamin a few weeks ago while I was out at dance with the girls. I asked Zachary how does Benjamin act with him. He said that he is calm and very patient. Well....this is very interesting! Every meal while waiting on me to prepare his plate, Mr. Benjamin makes all the noise he can...crying...like he is starving. It drives me crazy! So with Zachary tonight, he sits and waits on big brother Zachary to meet his needs. No crying...no standing up. This is encouraging to me. This tells me that I can be hopeful that the nonsense crying is temporary. He wants his Mama. This too will pass...I hope.

I know they fed him well in the orphanage but I wonder if some of that is because he always had to share food with another child. All the pictures I have, he is sharing a nanny and sharing a bowl and spoon with another child. He appeared to be waiting patiently in the pictures...and I have lots of pictures of him eating.

So now...what does this mean? He was such a good boy for Zachary in the high chair. When he starts the crying, I start talking quietly to him. I actually whisper to him and ask him if he wants more. He quietly signs "more please" with his hands and verbally says "De Je" which means "more." I think he said "more" in English today. And he said, "Thank you."

Spaghetti face kiss! Taken on September 30.

So he understands me. I think he understands 95% of what I'm saying and he attempts to say what I'm saying. I think things will get even better when he can speak English. I think he gets frustrated because he can't express himself and tell me what he wants. So he just cries and maybe he really is saying it in Chinese but I can't understand him. He continues to add to his vocabulary...and it's so cute. He can say our names, up, more, sock, thank you, please, and a few other words. I don't think it will be long and he will be able to share his needs. For now, we guess and we actually sometimes guess correctly.

Benjamin is so smart. I was brushing my teeth and he stood beside me in the bathroom looking up, watching every move....with those beautiful eyes. He appeared to be really in thought about me brushing my teeth. Then, he turns around, runs out the bathroom and down the hall. I thought he was going to play. He runs back to where I am with his toothbrush and toothpaste in his hand!

When I help the little kids brush their teeth, I sing the Sing, Spell, Read and Write ABC song.
"a-a- apple.....b-b- ball.....c-c- cat.....d-d- doll...."

Well, I started brushing Benjamin's teeth and started singing, "a-a apple." He then adds "b-b ball." Too cute! He tries to sing the "a-a-a-a" all over the house.

He loves cleaning up. I'm sure the orphanage encouraged them to clean up their toys. He does it with such joy. I don't know any other child on earth that cleans up with joy..LOL. I sing the Barney clean up song...

"Clean up. Clean up. Everybody everywhere. Clean up. Clean up. Everybody do their share." He sings along with me...in his own Chinese baby talk.

Benjamin and Hudson take care of each other. It's the most amazing thing to watch. Benjamin will get two books and he gives one to Hudson first then takes his book and sits by Hudson...reading together. He is always thinking of Hudson. They play so well together. I think I have only heard them crying two times the whole 2 1/2 months we have been home. They share so nicely which is such a blessing. I do know that Hudson is compliant so not sure if that has anything to do with the peace in the playroom.

Benjamin must be a little strong willed just to be able to survive all the losses in his life. He has lost his birth family and his nannies that he loved dearly. I'm still not labeling him yet as I'm hoping it's still adjustment issues we are dealing with. In some ways, he's very compliant, wanting to make Hudson happy while playing. His facial expression changes when others tell him he is a good boy. He loves to be told those words. I say it often with praise and it really quiets him down....and he always smiles when I say it. He understands. Benjamin is a very sweet little guy and every day, I see improvement. He understands that I won't allow him to do things that he wants to do. So maybe some of this is just not having the home environment and the boundaries of a family for the first 19 months of his life. He is becoming more of a "pleaser" and the more he can express himself in English, I think things will be fine.
He loves trucks and cars, always making the car sounds. Joel's mom got Hudson a "road rug" for Christmas last year so I put that in the toy room and they love it.

He amazes us by the determination he shows us. He can now put little Legos together...you know the tiny little ones. He buckles and snaps things together just like any 21 month old. He figures everything out just as fast as any kid would at this age.

I'm not sure if they had puzzles in the orphanage but he loves them now.
His favorite toys are dishes and playfood. He and Hudson "cook" most of their time in the play room. Very cute!

I'm not sure why but he and Hudson love Baby Einstein more than any other video. They will watch it and laugh together.

Do you remember the Baby Elmo doll? Well, my sister-in-law gave Alaina two of them that were her girls' dolls. Not sure why I kept both of them but I'm so glad I did. When you push Elmo's tummy, he kicks and says "Mama." If you feed him, he makes drinking sounds....then he burps!! Hudson laughs and laughs...then Benjamin joins in the laughter. Baby Elmo then says, "Elmo want Baba." I think that probably means a bottle but since Benjamin calls his blankie rag a baba/bubba, he smiles really big when Elmo says it. He must think that Elmo wants his bubba blankie rag.

Benjamin's hair is really growing and he is getting cuter by the minute!! I love this little guy. He loves to cuddle and throughout the day will hug me on his own. All of us are just crazy about him and we are so thankful to God for giving him to our family.

We love you, Benjamin!!

2 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

Trina, I was spellbound reading your update on Benjamin... I kept picturing what life might be like with Owen finally home!! :) Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm so glad that Benjamin has acclamated so well to the family and that he & Hudson are buddies. That is SO sweet! And that he is napping for you, and getting better about communicating... huge steps! Wonderful, wonderful news. I have to say I am a little jealous of your new double stroller... I think I might need one!

Blessings,
Rebecca

Sharla M. said...

Hi Trina,

I'm so glad Ben is doing so well...Abby still loves to see pictures of him on your blog! He's sounds like such a special little boy!