Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Oh NO...I've Been TAGGED!

I've not only been tagged once but twice! A Ladyblog tagged me last week and Sharla caught me today!! I was actually trying to avoid it as long as possible. Guess I better get started...hmmmm.

As I was thinking through this, most of my weird stuff was from growing up...and I guess that's a good thing. Where do I begin? There are so many...

1) I was a cheerleader 8 years all through middle school and high school. Sadly and surprisingly, I can't remember many cheers. Alaina says she wants to be a cheerleader so maybe I can review them with her.

2) I have two Black Belts in Martial Arts. One is TaeKwonDo and the other is ShoToKan. My dad is STILL so proud that I won tournaments in fighting up and down the East Coast. I've always been shy as a kid and even now (it's true!). I was like a different kid in tournaments....very aggressive and not frightened....even though I was always the smallest in size. I'm only 5'2" but my kicks were so high that I could reach the back of their head before they could blink. I have not participated in a class (besides teaching kickboxing several years ago) in many years but always have plans for the kids to get started. They are so busy with soccer, baseball and dance that I can't imagine squeezing another class into their schedule. Yes, I still have all those trophies...in the basement in a box.

3) This one is super embarrassing and I've debated to include it. I was Miss ____ County my senior year. My 10th grade year, was the first time I entered the pageant and didn't win anything. Yes, I entered again my 11th grade year and won First Runner Up..ugh. I couldn't end on that title so I tried one more year...my last year possible and finally won. You know what they say, "third time is a charm" or something like that. I rode on top of a Corvette in my small town parade and served cake at a local bank. I think that was about it as far as the perks for winning. I think I won a savings bond or something but it obviously wasn't much if I can't remember what it was.

4) Praise God, I've never been in a car accident with me as the driver! However, I wasn't a very good driver as a kid. I learned how to drive and parallel park in a very large Cadillac (remember I'm 5'2") and could barely see over the steering wheel. I'm a super careful driver now because of my sad driving experiences as a kid. I did stupid stuff like back up and the wheels would fall off a concrete wall...spinning in the air and a tow truck had to lift the car up (remind you in my parent's Cadillac). My parents had a lot of trust to allow me to drive. My 17th birthday, they finally bought me a little car and I've been driving well since. If you have heard me talk about not feeling comfortable driving a 15 passenger van, now you know why. I've been asked if we will adopt again. It would have to be God calling me out of my comfort zone to drive one of those "buses."

5) This is no joke. In highschool, I thought that mashed potatoes came out of a box (I really was an "A" student and I really did have common sense). One day, I was at a friend's and his mom was making mashed potatoes with "real" potatoes...mashing them in a pot with lots of yummy butter, salt and pepper. They thought I was so funny when I made a comment that I didn't know that is how mashed potatoes are made.

Now, I'm a total "granola mom"...milling my own grains, baking bread, and eating millet many times a week. My kids love vegatables. Even the babies will eat salad. It's funny though...we eat sweet potatoes and I rarely make mashed potatoes...but they sure are good.

6) I have never had a "real" job outside the home.

I taught aerobics many years and have a personal trainer certification. Allow me to back up....

I have a BS in Business/Marketing from a large university....but have never had a "real" career. I graduated and then 2 weeks later, Joel and I were married. Joel's job required that we relocate so we lived in four different states our first year of marriage and finally stayed in one location for 2 years. Before we moved, I was pregnant, expecting Alexis.

My parents paid for my entire college education (PTL!) so when I called them to tell them that I was teaching aerobics for fun, they were not extremely proud of me. I taught all through my pregnancies and enjoyed helping others as a personal trainer for many years. I can't believe that I'm not working-out now...and actually have not since Hudson came home. I encouraged people for many years to put fitness somewhere at the top of their list...

(Temple Training: 1 Corinthians 6:19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; )

so now I really need to remember that advice for myself.

As far as the degree...God gave me that degree and I use it often in serving at church and our community. Nothing from God is wasted.

7) Joel and I met Michael W. Smith. A sweet friend of ours knew him and allowed us to use her back stage passes. Michael is such a sweet man and I love his music!

Ok...more than you wanted to know.....I'm sure. Now for more fun. Now it's my turn to tag 7 more people (ABC order):

Connie (who is now in China with a friend!)


For the Love Of Claire


GIJaneDoe


Jan


Julia


Mrs. U

Rebecca

4 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

HA! I got tagged twice with the same thing today. :) Well I sure am having fun reading everyone else's... I don't know if I have anything interesting to say about myself, but I will think hard. :)

I would never have guessed. A cheerleader and a beauty queen... and a BLACKBELT twice over??? You are a fascinating woman! :)

xoxo
Rebecca

Patientlywaiting said...

Thanks for tagging me, Trina. What do you mean that mashed potatoes don't come from a box? That is just mind blowing! LOL! I had no idea about the black belts. That is very impressive!

Hugs,
Robin

trina said...

Wait a minute...didn't say anything about being a "beauty queen" but thanks, Rebecca...LOL
Yeah, Robin...sometimes I guess mashed potatoes still do come in a box,huh...embarrassing...hmmmm.

Sharla M. said...

That was too fun! I'm so glad you tagged Robin! I tried to include a couple of my 'non-China' adoption buddies and wasn't sure I should tag 8...I thought you might get her!

Blackbelt! When Alexis starts dating, you need to un-box those trophies and put them at the front door!

Hugs,
Sharla