While traveling back to the hotel on Saturday, we called "Uncle" Steve and "Aunt"Kim, our friends that help take care of the Gejiu Orphanage in China and are now in the US.
Steve talked to Benjamin HuiHui in Chinese...and he smiled so big listening to Steve. He smiled every time Steve said something to him. I wonder how much he understood. I think he totally understood him. He was precious to watch as Steve has spent many hours with him in his little life (although in his younger months, he didn't like Steve too much..LOL).
I asked Steve while on the phone with him what "De Je" means. Doi Je means "more" which is just what we thought. I will tell him to say "more please" and he signs it and then says "De Je". We really need to learn more baby sign language as it has been really hard sometimes. Sometimes he needs something and I can't tell what he wants. He tries so hard to tell me by pulling me or pushing me or flat out crying...but that doesn't help. Learning a few more baby signs could help us transition. It won't be long and he will be talking up a storm.
We have had him a month and I think he understands 90% of what I'm saying. I laugh sometimes as the expression on his face is just like Abby's in China. Remember Abby is 6 years old. We would say things to her and she would have this blank look on her face. I know she thought we were crazy. She's so smart, I'm sure she laughed at us trying to speak Chinese to her. Hudson and Alaina seem to understand us sooner maybe because they were much younger than Benjamin coming home. He is so cute though when I say something to him and he doesn't understand. He just looks up at me with those big eyes.
Last night, I asked him to go get his shoes and he totally understood and brought them to me. He understands when I tell him to sit down or to wait..."hold on". I think he understands "night-night" and sleep. It's pretty amazing how these children learn so quickly and start to speak English. He can say MaMa, DaDa, Sissy, Laina, Night-night, Bubba (his washcloth), Bye-bye, Hi, See ya, and Uh Oh. He will repeat anything you say which is so much fun. Tonight, my dad was on the speaker phone and he was telling me a phone number. The number had 2-2 in it. Benjamin repeated 2-2 after him. It was so funny.
Today, Benjamin must have hit Hudson with a toy...and it appeared to be an accident as far as I can tell. Hudson was crying and I told Benjamin to tell Hudson he was sorry. Benjamin caressed Hudson's hair. I guess that could be a form of "sorry",huh.
Tonight, I told him to get in his highchair and he is happy to climb in it. He understands when I tell him to turn around on the stairs. He continues to attempt going down the stairs like he is a big boy, holding on the railing. It's super cute to watch but so dangerous. I tell him to turn around and he plops on his belly and feet goes down first, as fast as he can go...laughing all the way.
While getting ready for bed tonight, he and Hudson accidentally bumped heads. Hudson started crying so I told Benjamin to tell him he was sorry. He caressed Hudson's hair like he had done earlier today. I told him to give him a kiss and he did...so cute. Then I told him to give him a hug and he did!!
We are having so much fun!















No comments:
Post a Comment